Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Twitter Causes Trouble


“So twitter’s the new thing, uhh?” (me) “Yeah. You definitely need to get one. People say some funny things.” (My friend) Isn’t twitter for like famous people and then the little people follow them?” (Me) Well you can get one and just have your friends follow you. I tweet insiders and stuff like that or funny things I hear or see.” (My friend) “I see. I think I’ll pass.” (Me) “Whatever. You’re missing out.” (My friend)
This was the conversation I had with my friend the first time I heard about twitter. This was sometime late last year. Not many people had nor did I know a lot of people who had it either. However, now all I hear is the words twitter, or tweeting, or follow me at (twitter account) this. Just about everyone has one now, but I still don’t. I decided this was the one thing that I wouldn’t get just because I see no point to it. But enough about me not having a twitter. Let’s get to the really great stuff.
So I remember I was watching the NBA playoffs and Milwaukee Bucks point-guard, Brandon Jennings had tweeted about how excited he was about winning the game. However, because he did this a couple minutes after the game, he got fined $7500. There was nothing wrong with what he said, but the fact that it was during a period of time that it wasn’t allowed, he got in trouble for it. Then on the other hand we have other athletes like Chad Ochocinco and Terrell Owens who love the attention and tweet things and at times they aren’t suppose to on purpose. Chad Ochocinco made it clear that he was still going to tweet during games. What this does is that it causes athletes to tweet things they shouldn’t because they are caught up in the heat of the game and they don’t really think. Another NFL player, Antonio Cromartie tweeted during the Chargers (NFL Team) training camp. He called what they were eating “nasty food” and claimed that’s why they haven’t won a championship yet. Of course this is funny to fans because he wasn’t really serious about the second part, but it wasn’t funny to the Chargers considering they fined him $2500. Larry Johnson, from the Chiefs, is another example. He started ripping his coach apart through tweets and he didn’t get fined, although he did get fired and ended up on another team.
I think you get the point. People tweet things they shouldn’t say all the time. I know that I limited the tweets to athletes, but these are the ones people here about most. Other celebrities tweet things they shouldn’t say all the time, but they don’t really get fined because they don’t have set rules to follow like athletes. Twitter just causes trouble. I guess this is one of the many times it’s good to be a little person. We could tweet what we want, when we want. Technology just helps the media and it helps get celebrities in trouble.
I personally love that twitter is out there. I may not have one, but when celebrities say and tweet stupid things, it’s funny to me and millions of other people. It just sucks for that celebrities’ publicist who has to find a way to fix it. I like that twitter causes trouble. It keeps me entertained and there’s always someone new to talk about.

http://www.collegenews.com/index.php?/article/athletes_and_sportswriters_both_asking_for_trouble_with_twitter_use_08062009129942190/

http://mashable.com/2010/01/04/social-media-athletes/

No comments:

Post a Comment