Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I refuse to be Facebook wooed!

Much discussion about the effects technology has on our society has found its way from the dinner table to the news. While it is true technology is affecting our society on all aspects, one problem is directly effecting college students and in a word, me. It has become nearly impossible to begin, middle, or end a relationship without the help of technology and I am sick of it.

Attention college boys! This new generation of Facebook pickup lines and texting secret admires needs to be abolished. As the technological revolution persists women everywhere are losing out on the simple acts of chivalry and romance. It is hardly knee weakening to find a message in your inbox from a guy as opposed to an actual encounter. For some reason though, we as a generation have accepted that full relationships can be established, and maintained, via technological channels.

Cosmopolitan magazine, a front runner in all things sex and relationship has begun a series of technologically infused dating stories. Headlines such as “The 5 Secrets of an Alluring Dating Profile” or “Can Google Doom a Date?” have been spouting up in the magazine and online website in an effort to keep up with this new gadget toting society. I find this move towards technadating completely unacceptable. What happened to the bringing flowers to your door dating style? It has come to be replaced by a Facebook poke. While college has always been the perfect environment for one night stands and casual relationships, due to the power of technology it has become even more exasperated. There is no need to even put in any work beyond a smiley face on their page. The age of grand gestures like boom boxes outside your window has yielded to a music link on your wall.

We can cite this shift as a product of our busy lifestyles but I blame the laziness of this new 20 something generation. It is easier and much less effort to text someone rather than call so the transition evident. However I am taking a stand against this. I will no longer be complacent and accept these half assed courtships. I encourage all other women, and men to do the same. I refused to be wooed on facebook or asked out via text message. With all the sextexting and “skype sex” already floating around the world I see an end to all actual sex on the horizon. I refuse to continue this technological invasion on my love life. I don’t how it happened but at this point I’d actually prefer a simple love triangle to this world wide dating web.

No comments:

Post a Comment