Sunday, September 26, 2010

Passwords-A-Plenty


The Internet is a vast space of information; information for the taking and I don’t only mean for consumers. Every time you subscribe to a new website, or join an email list or order something from an Internet shopping site you need to set up your new login information. But is this really practical? Personally, I have trouble remembering what my professor was yapping about in class last week, let alone remember the 20 plus passwords I am forced to create. Even as I write this blog, I am attempting to try and remember my Blogger password that as escaped my memory.

The Drew University email program, uLogin, requires you to change your password every three months. Every three months? I don’t change my toothbrush every three months. The email program “highly recommends” not just using slight variations of the same password. Now maybe this wouldn’t be a huge problem to some people, but I received a Mac computer last spring from my generous parents after the seventh consecutive time of my Drew University computer losing my paper the day before it was due. This means I rarely turn on my Drew provided computer but, when I do, I have to once again, type in a password. Now, the original login password does not update with your change of password unless it is done on your Lenovo “shit-pad.” Meaning, I have to recall every last password I’ve used which is virtually impossible for someone like me who likes to use fatty foods as her password of choice and so I am unable to enter my computer and must go and whine once again to CNS.

I, even though I do like to think I am the only one who feels my personal grievances, am not the only one with this handicap via the Internet. The annoyance of having too many passwords was voted number one in a computer survey about “technology gripes.” There are all these restrictions that come with making new passwords: use a capital letter, put in a number, or case sensitive. And of course some tell you, “don’t use your first pet’s name,” or “refrain from using your mother’s maiden name.” Yeah, because not using something memorable makes a whole lot of sense seeing as this is the sixth new password I’ve made this week.

Passwords: just another reason why I hate using the Internet. Maybe if all these restrictions didn’t come with making the password I would be more willing to join a sight. Honestly, I don’t really care that using my old stuffed animal’s name makes it a “weak password.” I’m getting weak just trying to recall how many variations of the same password I have. And is it really necessary to have to update your password? Honestly, if someone was ever able to figure out my password then they deserve to get whatever they’re after because that must have took a lot of digging. Older people complain that the Internet is too confusing for them to use. Well, unlike John McCain, I’m not old but if I am forced to make one more password I’m going to just nix computers all together and go back to the days of when letter writing was personal and skywriting was an art form.

No comments:

Post a Comment