Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Are 3D Movies Really That Great?

Nowadays, so many movies have come out in 3D. Last time I checked, 3D movies never really did so well. Most say that it was because the hardware needed was extremely very expensive and there wasn’t a standardized format for the movie businesses, but now it seems like every commercial I see about a new movie is coming out in 3D. I find this funny just because now that we are in a recession, we seem to be spending more money on things that are not really necessary. At one point, animated movies were created in 3D mostly to entertain younger children. However, now there are horror films, action films, and fantasy films as well.

Robert Edbert, a movie critic, feels like 3D motion pictures add nothing important to the movie experience. There have been over twenty five 3D movies made this year and there are a lot more to come in the upcoming years. He adds that it is a distraction and it causes headaches and nausea. Even though there hasn’t really been a study conducted on people getting headaches after 3D movies, I know from experience that it does happen. Also, movie tickets increase by five to seven dollars and you cannot refuse to not buy the 3D glasses. Sometimes people want to watch the movie in 2D instead of 3D, but the theater wouldn’t have it. I know a lot of people are old school and prefer to just watch a movie for its story line and not necessarily for the special motion picture effects.

I’m personally not into 3D movies. I feel like I would take my niece or a little cousin to watch something like that because, like I mentioned earlier, most 3D movies that I actually feel should be 3D are animated movies for younger children. I also feel that it takes away from a good story line. Directors might feel that the special 3D motion pictures are enough to entertain a crowd, but the quality and story is what makes a movie good. Besides, we already have everything necessary for a good movie in 2D. All 3D really does is just make us change focus when something pops out at us. I prefer to enjoy my movie comfortably and I rather not have a headache when I leave the theater.


http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6080XO20100109?pageNumber=1
http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2010/05/03/movie-critic-roger-ebert-gives-a-thumbs-down-to-3d-movies/

No comments:

Post a Comment