Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Are we Friends or are you STALKING ME!! (?)



My friend comes to me one day and says to me "I been feeling like a CREEPER lately". At first I start to laugh because this is usually how a "normal" conversation starts between us, but as he begins to further explain I see that he is not at all joking. Him and his girlfriend just broke off a loooonnnnnnngggg boring 7 month relationship. Anyway, they proceeded to flaunt their breakup on facebook, taking pictures with random girls, or guys pretending that they are having the best time of their lives at a nice friendly gathering. They deleted each other from every social network except for twitter (because who really wants to loose one follower). Naturally, after a break up it is common for one to remember the times they fell in love like that Michael Jackson song, And wonder what that other person might be thinking. Well, thanks to twitter (thumbs up) one can do just that.

Does twitter promote stalking? From my viewpoint, it depends on the person, I'm just trying to surpass @justinbieber who currently has over 3 million followers.
But why then would my friend say he has been feeling like a Creeper lately (lol). After doing the research I could see how someone could potentially become a stalker or currently is one.

* Twitter is more intimate than the other social networks, it makes one feel that they are always connected, and most users updates their twitter status more than
another social network status.

* Whether cell phone or laptop, Twitter is simple and easy to maneuver through. Making it easy have access to someone's profile.

* When wants to access someone's profiles the must type in their name, which then triggers emotions, desires, and other feeling that come to mind when
associating with that person, making them more likely to access their page in the future.

* Users tweet their thoughts and daily activities because they want to stay connected to their followers, making a "potential stalker'' more intrigued and anxious for the next tweet.


Social networks like twitter mean no harm, but it shows that improper use of anything can come potentially crippling. Looking at these reasons it is easy to see why my friend felt that he was a Creeper. I'm just happy he took the fist initial step and admitting he was one. And for those who don't think twitter is absurd you can follow me @Yung_SwagMar #nice lol


5 comments:

  1. this is really interesting and makes me wonder if people are stalking YettiSpaghettii! I agree that some people take twitter really seriously and become consumed with other people's lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Facebook being the only social network that I use, I am not familiar with twitter. But It does sound like your friend is still very much in like/love with his ex so for that reason only, he gets a pass on the stalking. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit, I was a nay-sayer when Twitter made it's debut. But Twitter, like the other social networks is really addicting once given a shot. Twitter is like a non-stop Facebook mini-feed--update after update of crazy sights and funny quotes. For me, aside from reading what's going on in the lives of "important" people I follow, I noticed I had a lot to say--ALL THE TIME! Sure we could Tweet garbage...but then who will follow you??? Constantly being in close contact with other "important" people is great...It forces us to be less-- well less boring. Tweet on !*!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I don't promote stalking in any network, that is Twitter's undercover purpose. Twitter is meant for followers to, an extent,stalk. On Twitter all you can see are status updates so it really doesn't give you much room to work with, so at the end of the day you are basically stalking another person because you are spying or looking up information about them on their page -the difference is that some people do it more than others.

    ReplyDelete