Wednesday, September 29, 2010

How is GPS being used on phones? What are some of the best applications for the iPhone that use GPS?

Some of the Apple iPhone GPS Applications

Instead of buying an expensive navigation system you can buy an app for your phone that is the same exact thing- Maggelion on the iPhone gives everything you need and it is much cheaper.  You get everything you need in a navigation system and more.

Golfshot is also another application that someone can get for the iPhone.  I have used this application before because I play a lot of gold and it works very well.  If I go to a new course that I have never played at I can just open the application and it shows me where sand traps, water, and any other hazards that I might want to avoid.  Yes, you can usually get the layout of the course form the pro shop at the course but this is much more effective and fun to play with.  It gives you choices up to 1500 different courses that show you the layout and map of the course you are playing at.  It shows how long each hole is, what number club you might want to use, and it even uses the current weather to show where the wind is coming from. 

The AroundMe Application for the iPhone I used in at art semester when I am let to go out to lunch wherever I want, I can receive the umber of the place, the walking or driving directions there, or even what subway or train to take to get there.  It even shows how to get to that train or subway.  It gives you step-by-step directions.  And don’t worry it will give you directions how to get back form the place. If you are somewhere you are not familiar with, and want to know where to eat or go to stay busy or to get some entertainment it uses your current location.  It help you find Banks, find hospitals, find hotels, find bars find gas stations, find food, and you can find pretty much anything that you are looking for right in the palm of your hand.    
Check out how AroundMe works:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5yVWwlOJD8

The Urban Spoon Application - I also used have used my GPS while driving to places far away from home to find something I need.  If I don’t know where I am and need a bite to eat, but want something other than a fast food joint, I can use urban spoon and search exactly what kind of food, how much money I want to spend, and find reviews about the place. 
How for from the tee?

The My Tracks application is great for people that like o go hiking, biking, or running.  It lets you record the route that you have taken, how long it took, and you can even send the data to spreadsheet so you can keep track of what you have done.  It uses your current location to help you not get lost.  I have also used this application while hiking because I have a tendency of wondering around in the woods because I am so distracted by the nature and what is around me.  Having this application helps me get back to my destination safely.   





No comments:

Post a Comment