Monday, November 1, 2010

Technology's Crack Down on Crime


Technology is ever changing; each day we are closer to curing some disease or creating a new computer program that will simplify people’s lives even more. But advances in science and personal computers are not the only great things technology does for us. In many cases, technology means safety. Crime rate has definitely decreased due to implementing technological advances as if part of the law enforcement work force.

Take video surveillance cameras such as ones in convenient stores, banks, hospitals, and public bathrooms. Just the thought of being caught on camera doing something illegal would stop me dead in my tracks. In July of this year surveillance cameras helped Tampa law enforcement catch a $64,000 jewelry robbery by pointing the law enforcement in the direction of fingerprints of the criminal.

Metal detectors also help prevent crime for everyday civilians. Many high schools have implemented the use of metal detectors. I know the high school in my town could have used them due to all the bomb threats and kids bringing knives into the building. But let’s consider the slightly bigger picture of airport security. They use metal detectors and although they are a hassle and slow down the process of getting to your plane quickly, I personally feel safer entering a plane after I know every passenger is forced to be scanned for weaponry.

Cell phones can also be great tracking devices. Technology now makes it possible to track a cell phone like a GPS. So maybe those crime investigation shows are somewhat right; keeping that perpetrator on the phone while the local law enforcement traces the call can help prevent other murders, or any other sort of crime from happening. I must admit it is a little eerie to think someone can trace my very whereabouts due to the calls I make on my cell phone but as long as it’s not my parents doing the tracking I think I’m okay with it.

Video cameras and metal detectors are great but let’s focus for a second on what’s going on in our own backyard. Our very own Drew University recently installed card swipes in order to get into buildings that won’t let you in past midnight unless it’s your own residence hall. Although this may cause severe frustration when you try to go visit a friend at night in the freezing cold and you have to wait then minutes for her to let you in and of course you left your jacket in her room because you’d only be gone for a minute… it does protect us from unwanted visitors. I know I sleep better knowing we have that type of security.

Although technology can sometimes be a hassle, in the case of crime prevention, it’s a hassle we should all be willing to put up with. I hate waiting in line at the airport but if that means I won't be attacked while trying to watch my in-flight movie, I’m okay with that. If that means I have to walk around with a cold the night after being locked out of my friend’s dorm, well at least I don’t have to worry about unwanted intruders. So technology may have its ups and downs but in terms of protecting the well being of common citizens, I would say it’s doing a great job with its advances.

No comments:

Post a Comment