Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Facebook =Relationship Certification Experiment



Sooo......*drum roll*
I posted that I was engaged on Facebook and it didn't help that the day before the relationship status update, I had uploaded a photo of myself wearing a ring on my ring finger.
What I woke up to in the morning scared me.
My own Dad Facebook messaged me asking "What engagement? What is this Aisha?"
Various people exclaimed their excitement and well wishes towards me and my "beau". Most inquired on whom the lucky man was that had somehow managed to snag me. While others, were surprised. On my way to class I received a phone call from my mom stating that my cousin had called and said to her "Did you know Aisha is engaged?". This was when it dawned on me, how information not only traveled ridiculously rampant via social networks but for some reason we all have this desire to constantly be in touch.
We are aware of every little update a person makes and automatically identify it real, as legit as hearing it from their own mouths.


I was so stunned I assumed people that knew me on a personal basis, including my own Dad who ended up calling and questioning me about it, would know better than to think they'd learn something so big like an engagement via Facebook.

I also assumed that mostly young people of my generation were caught up in the Facebook frenzy but even my adult cousin in her mid-30's somehow found out and call my mother to inform her on my relationship status. There was no guy linked to the relationship change, nor any pictures of me and any guy. My family ate this up more than people who are not as close to me. This was hilariously sad, I didn't even know how to break it to them anymore. What I had planned was not going accordingly. It was insane. People so easily accepted me going from single to engage out of no where, because if it's on Facebook it must be true...right?

These social networks are revolutionizing our interaction more than we realize.

No comments:

Post a Comment