Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Way Facebook has Changed the Way People Interact on Both a Personal and Business Level

Our society has drastically changed since our parents were children. The main reason I believe is because of computers and the Internet-narrowing down to social networking sites. My parents and my friends’ parents find it extremely odd/weird that status updates are a part of our lives now. Where we are, what we are eating, who we are with and how we feel, is very important to my friends. It’s mind boggling that people today rely more on social networking sites and would rather log onto these sites as opposed to picking up a phone and calling someone up. Our society has drastically changed I believe it will be very difficult to keep up with digital media, but extremely necessary.

Parents are continuously creating Facebook accounts to “reconnect” with their old high school and college friends. This however, creates an issue for their children and family friends when that dreaded friend request is received. Not only do we have to accept the request but now we must censor and continuously edit our profiles. There are ways to limit and monitor who sees the various parts of your Facebook. This may seem like a good idea on paper. However, personally it is time consuming and confusing. I usually forget to make these changes allowing all of my friends to see the entirety of my profile page. As of this morning the Wall Street Journal as well as CNBC reported that Mark Zuckerberg announced three main changes to privacy settings making it much easier for user to limit and specify specific group ability to view different parts of profiles. This sounds like a good step in the right direction, however, I have not been exposed to these new settings and cannot comment on the success of them.

Differently, businesses have completely changed because of sites like Facebook and Twitter. One example that I came across is a book that I was interested in. The book is called: “Oh My God What Happened and What Should I Do?” This book is about the culture shock that we are going through right now in regards to digital media and the Internet. What is different about this book is that it is an eBook and the only way to access the download through this company was by posting their website link either on Facebook or Twitter. Businesses have to quickly learn that in order to keep their businesses alive, they must learn how to use technology to create their own culture on the Internet using these social networking tools.

I think that this eBook idea is brilliant. It helps the business get their name out on the social networking sites and also provides an incentive for people interested in the companies ideas and thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment