Wednesday, October 13, 2010

How To Protect Yourself from Identity Theft


In 2008, 302,757 American credit card holders were victims of identity theft according to the US census. “As of December 31, 2008, 805,146 Americans complained of credit card fraud” (www.census.gov). So, how exactly does one go about stealing your identity? This crime can be conducted via acquisition of social security numbers and other personal information. It can include the acquisition of your credit card or an account number.

Even if we have not personally experienced identity theft, many of us know someone who has, and even more of us take precautions to eliminate the possibility it happening to us. I shred my bills and financial documents. I never give out my social security number, unless I determine it absolutely secure and necessary.
As an alternative or additional method to combat this growing problem, there is a new piece of technology. For one monthly fee, PinPoint Advanced Fraud Detection combines advancements in GPS in cell phones with documentation of credit card transactions. This service tracks the location of a consumer’s cell phone throughout the day and compares those locations with those of the credit card transactions made. If there is not agreement between cell phone location and purchase location, PinPoint notifies the consumer with a text message or e-mail.

So, there are clear benefits to this service, as it targets unauthorized use of one’s credit card. To me this seems like an excellent use of technology and a great idea. Still, it highlights – in my mind – the ease of obtaining one’s location via the location of their cell phone. That my location is accessible to corporations – including phone companies – and the government is a violation of my privacy, and I am not comfortable with it.

It seems that the more technology advances, the more an individual’s privacy must be sacrificed. In order to remain an active participant in modern society, one must own the proper tools. These include a computer and a cell phone. But, it is unnerving to realize that every purchase of new technology opens yet another door to our private lives and makes us that much more vulnerable to criminals waiting to attack or to the government that seeks to regulate the activity of its citizens.

I realize that this service is geared towards the protection of the individual consumer. Still, I’m not sure I’ll feel comfortable purchasing the service for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment