Thursday, October 14, 2010

5 Ways Netflix Improves Your Flicks


 Netflix is entertainment heaven. With rates cheaper than Blockbuster, a library of millions, and no necessity to leave my bed, how could I go wrong?
Technologically speaking, I am the poster child of cynical. I have a hard time believing that quality of life is improved by the efficiency and ease that many new products advertise. For example, Google TV- is it really more efficient for me to watch TV and surf the net at the same time? For me, NO, but perhaps for some people, YES. Our class discussed 'What is good?' and 'What is bad?.' Although this topic is broad, general consensus concludes it’s an individual-specific question. 'Good' is something that meets our needs and when thought of that way, technology offers me a lot more than I realized.

I often feel lazy when I resort to technology, especially email. I feel like I didn’t find the time or care enough to call the person, or better yet, meet with them in person. But what about technology that enhances an activity meant for laziness and relaxation, like watching a movie? Whether I order the movie from home, rent it from Blockbuster, or take the time to drive to the theatre, I am not sacrificing personal interaction or copping out in any way, as the end result is always the same- I sit for two hours and zone out. With the typical stresses of any college student, I see nothing wrong with escaping in harmless entertainment.

Netflix is a mail service movie rental company that also offers online access, which to me is acually the selling point. I have ability to access Netflix online, specifically through my boyfriend’s Xbox that is conveniently hooked up to the TV in our bedroom (unfortunately the reason for this is Call of Duty, but at least I benefit somehow!). Because of this, I don’t have to wait 2 days to receive my movie in the mail. Netflix is cheaper than Blockbuster, but I’m all about instant gratification. The price difference means nothing when I have to wait courtesy of snail mail, and without internet access, I wouldn’t love Netflix the way that I do.

Online access to Netflix resembles OnDemand, but for $9.99 a month for unlimited rentals versus $4.95 a movie…Ding! Ding! Ding! Netflix wins. Price contending, there are even cheaper options and some of you may ask why advocate Netflix when RedBox is available for only $1.00 at your local grocery stores?

Well here's why: Netflix is a service. The instant selection changes daily, but I am able to browse the full collection online and pre-order movies or TV shows to ensure a successful viewing experience. Netflix even tracks what I watch and suggests alternate programs in the same genre. I’m an indie film fanatic and unlike OnDemand, Netflix ignores popular demand and creates a category that’s popular specifically for me. If this were Facebook, I’d click ‘Like’ a million times.

The question of ‘Why order movies and TV when live TV is always available?’ is also at hand. Although it’s only $9.99 a month, that’s $9.99 that wouldn’t have been spent otherwise. This is where the idea of good is essential. For me, and others that like instant gratification and commercial free home entertainment, Netflix is good. It meets my needs. I hate commercials. TiVo and DVR are great. They record my favorite shows and allow fast forwarding through annoying Geico and FreeCreditReport.com commercials that relentlessly appear regardless or channel/show; but why bother when I can avoid commercials all together? With Netflix, uninterrupted viewing is available 24/7.

Even though it is the internet accessibility that hooks me in, the mailing service still qualifies Netflix as a superior entertainment mecca. Yes, there is a waiting period, but the envelope comes pre-addressed and paid, leaving only the task of dropping it in a mailbox. Once a movie is returned, the next in queue instantly sends. The good old-fashioned responsibility of dropping off at Blockbuster, paying late fees, and often not finding what you want is completely avoided.

Typically, I love the traditional way of doing things. I find joy in personal interaction. I find satisfaction in  effort; but when it comes to enjoying an effortless activity, Netflix improves my experience. It makes something easy even easier and to me, this suits my needs. To me, this is good.
 

Check out the official Netflix blog! What do you think- is Netflix good?

Mallory.  

4 comments:

  1. Pirating is free, I get to keep the movies forever, and my selection is far wider. Clear winner: piracy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer the REDBOX machines--you decide you want to see a movie, and it's yours for a dollar and ten minutes in your car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya Gordon, but when I'm in my jammies and all snuggly with Phil and the cat, I don't like to get in my car and go to the store. I like to browse and pick from bed. Also, if I don't like the movie, i can instantly change it. Plus- 30 Rock is available 22 episodes at a tiem versus the DVD, which only has 8.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing how poorly some of those other blogs are written. This blog is far superior.

    I have a Blockbuster Online subscription (which allows me to turn in the mailed movies for free movies at the store) and Netflix (which allows me on-demand through the Wii at home and my desktop at work). Clear winner - me!

    ReplyDelete