Wednesday, October 13, 2010

5 Ways I benefit from Google's Automated Car Technology

Google has announced on their corporate blog that they have invented and are testing the technology for a car that can drive automatically with no driver. Google states that the automated care used video cameras, radar sensors and a range laser to see other traffic as well as detailed maps to navigate the road ahead. Google states that their main objective for creating this technology is to prevent traffic accidents and to free up peoples time. This got me thinking, what are the advantages for me personally if my car could get me from point A to point B without me doing anything.

1. I would be able to catch up on my sleep that I lose being a hardworking and academically focused college student. Nothing would be better then sleeping while traveling to work, the gym or other venues. Plus it would be a complete maximization of my time.

2. I could read the Wall Street Journal or other news publications to catch up on worldly events. This would increase my knowledge, maximizing both education expenses and again time. If I was feeling very ambitious I could finish or get a start on school work.

3. I would always have transportation regardless of time or place. For example, I personally hate driving in New York City so I rely on the unreliable NJ Transit. If I had a car that drove itself, driving in the city would not only be easy but interesting because I could be a spectator rather then battling the crowds and crazy taxi drivers. Second, I could go out with friends and the car could drive us home if we did not designate a driver.


4. Speeding and moving violations would be eliminated because the car would be programmed to strictly follow all driving laws. No more large fines or suspensions, which is self-explanatory.

5. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly it would be awesome to have a car that drives itself. No more stresses of driving in traffic, getting lost or driving in general.

Even though I think this type of technology is extremely beneficial, investors of Google are not pleased. They believe that even though Google has a modest 30 Billion dollars cash on their balance sheet, they are setting a dangerous precedent for investing in projects that stray away from their core business. Regardless of the investors opinions I believe that this technology would be great for consumers and contribute tremendous revenue to Google. I just hope I can reap the benefits before it is to late.



No comments:

Post a Comment