Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Chaos in the midst of Facebook’s inception…

The largest social networking website success to date, stemmed from a brilliant Harvard student’s single idea-to revolutionize social networking. Or did it? Last weekend, I went to see The Social Network, a new drama filled film that discusses the origins of Facebook, enlightening its audience to the complexities behind its worldwide prosperity. Its timely release comes in the wake of the news that Facebook has surpassed the technology giant Google as the most viewed website in the U.S.

The movie’s success arises from the fact that Facebook is one of the most popular sites that its users seem to know the least about. I will confess, I am a Facebook user, but not by choice, at least initially. My good friend created my account in my sophomore year at College. While I was hesitant at first, I began to learn to love what so many of my peers had been obsessing about for so long. Admittedly now each time I use the Internet, I check my Facebook. This same friend, who is responsible for my Facebook membership, and I brainstormed many ideas in our time together at College, although unfortunately have not had the courage to go out and pursue them. What The Social Network did for me, as I hope it does for everyone who is fortunate enough to view the film, is instill a sense of true hope, a hope that comes from within, a desire to work towards our ideas, small or large, regardless of their potential adverse effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment